1. The Review Tribunal provided for in section 11 (1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago has been established by the Honourable Chief Justice.
2. The Review Tribunal comprises Mr. Gilbert Peterson S.C., Chairman, Mrs. Deborah Peake S.C., Member and Mr. Rajmanlal Joseph, Member (“the Review Tribunal”). The Secretary to the Review Tribunal is Mr. Paul Issac.
3. The office of the Review Tribunal is located at the Hall of Justice. Knox Street, Port of Spain.
4. Any person lawfully detained by virtue only of the Emergency Powers Regulations, 2011 or any Act or regulations made under Section 7 of the Constitution (“the detainee”) has a right to have his/her case reviewed by the Review Tribunal.
5. Any detainee who is desirous of having his case reviewed by the Review Tribunal shall make a written request signed by him or his representative by lodging same at:
(i) the Registry of the Supreme Court, Hall of Justice, Port of Spain; or
(ii) the Sub-Registry of the Supreme Court, San Fernando; or
(iii) the Sub-Registry of the Supreme Court, Tobago; or
(iv) the Secretariat of the Review Tribunal, Hall of Justice, Knox Street, Port of Spain.
6. Upon receipt of a request for a review, the Secretary of the Review Tribunal shall promptly notify the Minister of National Security (“the Minister”) who shall forthwith submit to the Secretary of the Review Tribunal the grounds upon which the detainee was detained and such other particulars as the Minister may think fit due regard being had to the public interest.
7. Upon receipt of the grounds referred to in paragraph 6 above, the Secretary to the Review Tribunal shall furnish to the detainee the grounds and notice of the time and place at which the review will be held to enable the detainee to present his case against the detention.
8. The detainee will be entitled to present his case to the Review Tribunal in person or through a legal representative.
9. The Review Tribunal will sit at the Hall of Justice, Knox Street, Port of Spain.
10. The hearings of the Review Tribunal shall be held in camera.
Dated 25th day of August, 2011.
Mr. Gilbert Peterson S.C.
Mrs. Deborah Peake S.C.
Mr. Rajmanlal Joseph,